She’s a what?

At a Polynesian feast you can guarantee that there will be a lot of untouched salad

She says she’s a vegetarian. Who has ever heard of a Polynesian vegetarian? I didn’t until my sister told me this week that my niece is a vegetarian to which I responded, “She’s a what?!”

In our extended family you can be whatever you want and we encourage our children to pursue those goals with gusto.

You wanna be a lawyer? Go for it, but make sure that you have the stomach for dishonorable and despicable people.

You wanna be a doctor? Go for it but make sure you have the stomach for blood and gore and scaly skin.

You wanna be a vegetarian? Hoooold up! You wanna be a what? Are you out of your pork fed, beef eating mind? Back up the BBQ wagon we gotta talk about this one for a minute while I hide this Cafe Rio steak burrito in my gut.

I haven’t had a chance to confirm with my niece’s mom (my other sister) but where did her daughter get the notion that eating like a chicken instead of eating the chicken is an acceptable diet at our family luau’s? While we’re stuffing our faces full of kalua pork and lamb chops she’s going to feast on…broccoli? When she goes to a Polynesian home there are two things you can set your clock by: 1) there will be plenty of meat and 2) there will be plenty of untouched salad. Is she crazy?

I’m a bit distraught and I don’t mean to offend vegetarians and vegans the world over but is this girl nuts? Maybe it’s just a phase she’s going through but the minute I see her chow down on some teriyaki beef I’ll know that she’s okay and she can go on to bigger and better things like nursing.

But if she doesn’t, I’ll still love my niece. I just won’t invite her to any BBQ’s because have you ever had grilled lettuce before?

This entry was posted in Family, Food, Health, Humor and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to She’s a what?

1. Hahahahahahahahaha….BIG BREATH….hahahahahahahaha…:)

Mary, thanks so much for being such a great supporter of the blog. Lot’s of your friends and family are reading now. I hope you all enjoy and send feedback, comments and suggestions.

2. And I was about to start my own blog on this topic too! It’s not the end of the world, haha. I do know some Polynesian vegetarians, and in fact I was one too… for about a week, lol. But think about it, there are some Samoan food that are actually for vegetarians.. perhaps not for your niece but speaking in general there are choices. Lu’au/palusami itself is excellent veggie food… sua fa’i, koko alaisa, taufolo, fa’ausi, supoesi, kopai, fa’alifu talo, ufi, ulu, fa’i, etc… even panipopos and german buns! And it depends if your niece chooses to be Pescetarian (a kind-of vegetarian who eats seafood) then there are a lot more Samoan dishes for her including oka 🙂

Elizabeth you bring up some very valid points. In fact, after reading your comment, I think I’ve always been a Pescetarian but didn’t know it. And I would eat taro and palusami (or Tongan lu) any day over beef or chicken. Thanks for the information. I think I’m on my way to eating healthier : )

4. Haha!!! I’ve never met a polynesian vegeterian either. I don’t even have friends that are vegetarian. So does your sister cook a seperate meal for her? Interesting. Just wondering how that’s working out in her polynesian home.

I have no clue if sister even know’s how to handle the situation. I’m guessing that either the daughter will give in, or the entire family is going to have to go veg. We’ll see how this plays out. Thanks for reading and posting your comments Leti.

5. LyfesLyfe says:

HAHAHAHAA!!! oh man!!!

6. aioevaga tuna says:

LOL! this is too funny…but sori seti…she’s not alone in the Samoan world…got a few friends who’d eat ‘kapisi’ only at our gatherings…so we put them on a special table…equivalent to a kids’ table at family functions…hahahahahaha…but we love them all equally! lol!

Great post! I’m with you, pure carnivore. I sorta figure that my ancestors didn’t fight their way to the top of the food chain so that I could eat leaves!